Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ryan Christopher

Ryan Christopher was born on March 14, 2012. He weighed 7 pounds, 4 ounces and 19 3/4 inches long. I knew that I would have to be induced unless Ryan came on his own. My OB, Dr. Cobbinaugh, didn't want me to go over my due date because of my arthritis. My due date was March 22 and she was going to be out of town starting on March 15. I let her know I REALLY wanted her to deliver Ryan, so she set up my induction on March 14 (38 weeks and 6 days).  So, on March 13, my mom came to stay with Courtney.  We got to the hospital at 7:00 am. I had already braced myself for a lllooooonnnggg day. I had a really long labor and 3 hours of pushing with Courtney, so I assumed it would be the same (even though EVERYONE told me second babies were faster and easier, I just wanted to be prepared for anything).  The nurse assigned to us met us at the front desk with a college-aged student. She asked if it would be okay if she observed my delivery. I was a little shocked, but jokingly said, "Sure, let's show her how fast this can be done."  Little did I know I would show her a fast delivery!! I got started on pitocin and a few hours later got my epidural. I was starting to feel some pretty strong contractions. After that I napped a little and tried to relax. Around noon, Dr. Doan (the doctor on call that day) came to check on me. My doctor would be in around 5:00 and was certain, she would deliver.  Dr. Doan checked me and I was progressing well...a shocking statement to me since my induction with Courtney went so slow.  Around 2:00 I was checked again and I was at a 7 or 8. Immediately after I started feeling a lot of pressure and wanted to push. Dan quickly brought the nurses back in, I was checked again and was a 10 in no time! Within minutes things got serious, people were coming in, setting things up and scrubbing up! I started pushing and after ONE push, Dr. Doan told me the baby was almost out. I COULD NOT BELIEVE HER. She told me after another push, I might have a baby. She was almost right! After 3 fierce pushes, Ryan was born! In that moment, with how easy it was, I thought that I could do this again and again! That feeling has passed :) I was handed my warm, sweet boy to love on. He nursed well right away.  This whole "second time around" feeling was wonderful. Everything seemed easier and more laid back.  Later that afternoon, Dr. Cobbinaugh came to laugh with me about scheduling my induction to have her there and then delivering too quickly for her to be there!





We wanted Courtney to be the first to meet Ryan. My mom brought her to the hospital and she was so sweet! She got a present from Ryan and from day one has adjusted AWESOME to her new little brother.  My mom came in to meet Ryan as well as other proud grandparents: Papa Steve and Meemaw Leslie, Meemaw Jody and Tpa! My dad came a few days later once we were at home.

Time at the hospital is always long, so we were very excited for our homecoming! The first night at home is always a worry, but with Dan as my partner in parenting, everything was calm, easy and stress-free. Knowing someone will be right there with you in the middle of the night made things very worry free for me. This part was THE WORST with Courtney. I was always so scared before I would go to bed, not knowing how much she would wake up, etc. But, from the first night of his life, Ryan only ever woke up to eat 2 times at night. He quickly cut that down to one time a night (usually around 2:00 - 4:00).

My mom stayed with Courtney while we were at the hospital and then continued to stay at our house for 10 days.  She cooked, watched a lot of March Madness, rocked the baby, played princesses, went to Walmart, bought groceries and was overall a great nanny! Growing up and having an "older" mom, I always worried about not having her around for these kind of things. Maybe it was silly, but I am still very thankful for all the moments I have with my parents and the moments they have with my kids.

Well, that pretty much sums up Ryan's first 2 weeks of life. He was cuddly, easy and the most wonderful completion to our family!


No comments: